The US will soon allow Indian citizens to win millions in Indian online lottery prizes.

    The move, announced by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, comes in response to a petition signed by more than 150,000 people calling for a rollback of Indian government-run online lottery systems.

    Indian citizens will now be able to claim up to $1.1 million in Indian and foreign lottery prizes from March 21, 2018, when the lottery is due to open, according to a White House statement.

    The rollback will allow Indian and US citizens to claim prizes in the $5,000 to $50,000 range from February 2019, the statement said.

    Indian officials have previously said that the government’s decision to relax online lottery rules could lead to fraud.

    Indian lottery officials have said that they are taking steps to address concerns over the security of the Indian lottery system, but the rollback comes in the face of strong public opposition.

    In January, an Indian state government agency warned that millions of Indians were at risk of losing out on winning lottery prizes if the government does not act.

    The Indian government also said that many of the games played online were being played at a time when “we have no control over the flow of money”.

    RELATED ARTICLES